One of the things most people should know about me is that I like EASY. Don’t get me wrong – I don’t mind doing the work, as I am a very motivated & driven person. BUT – it doesn’t mean I don’t always exhaust all efforts to find an easier way to complete any task (if it looks difficult). This isn’t just in my job, workouts… it’s also in the kitchen. Insert: Crockpot. My favorite kitchen appliance ever invented. Literally – you just throw stuff in there, and it magically cooks without having to come back and check on it, worry about the house catching on fire if you leave, etc. I think I make 1-2 recipes in my crockpot a week, which is usually what I eat for the entire week. I made an old favorite the other day: Crockpot Sweet Potato Beef Casserole. Delicious, easy, and lasts me 5-6 meals.
- 1 lb ground beef/bison
- 1 large sweet potato (can use 3 large plantains, but I find they don’t have as much flavor)
- 5 eggs
- Ghee/coconut oil/butter
- Spices: salt, pepper, all-purpose spice (whole foods), Trader Joes South African Smoke Spice ($2-$3 at TJ’s, pale/whole30 compliant. Trust me on this – buy this and keep in your spice cabinet forever)
- Optional: hot sauce (preferably franks red hot or tessamae’s buffalo wing sauce)
- Grease crockpot with ghee/butter/coconut oil.
- Brown ground beef/bison on the stove & season with spices to taste.. and hot sauce, if you ‘re into that kinda stuff
- Wash sweet potato & slice into ¼” thick medallion rounds
- Put 1st layer of sweet potato rounds in the crockpot. Layer some of ground beef over top. Repeat until beef & sweet potatoes are gone.
- Crack eggs in a bowl & whisk together with any additional spices, if you are feeling spicy
- Pour egg mixture over beef, covering the beef/sweet potato mixture as much as you can
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours
- Serve with some more hot sauce & eat!
Recipe inspired by PaleoPot.